Monday, April 3, 2017

SOARING TO NEW HEIGHTS...




(by Radomil/wikimedia commons)

 
To all my current and future #DCSPeeps (DECIDE, COMMIT, SUCCEED), welcome to my new series in my continuing effort to inspire, amuse, and entertain you! Each Monday I will select a new word to analyze how it might apply to our writing lives and also give you a peek into my childhood growing up in the swamps of southern Louisiana, so kick back, put your feet up, and check out my story about TODAY'S WORD:

SOAR


When I was about eight years old, my sister and I received matching blue bicycles for Christmas. Sleek and shiny, we couldn’t wait to try them out, but my mother would only allow us to ride them under her supervision. 

That first day we were dutiful children, only riding up and down our driveway. The next day however was a different story.

My parents left us alone at the house while they ran some errands. We, being ordinary kids, decide this would be the perfect time to test our bicycle-riding wings and see if we couldn’t soar like eagles without our mother around.

Fat chance.

What DID happen was a major crash and burn as we both lost control of our bikes as we tried to circumvent a parked car from opposite sides which ended up damaging both bikes almost beyond repair.

We limped back home and tried to hide them in the garage, but of course my mother found out; promptly tanning our hides in the process for disobeying her!

My point to this whole story is not that I got into trouble, but the fact, even at a young age, I thought if I tried hard enough, I could soar toward an obtainable goal.

I feel the same way about this writing journey I'm on. It's a precarious balance between soaring toward my dreams of more published books and my dreams crashing or burning to the ground.

SOARING means I believe in my skills as a storyteller.

Crashing means there are days when I allow thoughts of self-doubt to cloud my artistic judgement.

SOARING means I send my polished manuscripts out into the world, knowing someone will publish them one day.

Crashing means accepting the fact rejection is part of the publishing process and not a reflection of my personal strength as a writer.

SOARING allows my spirit to be lifted by the dreams that carry me forever forward on my publishing quest.

Crashing sets up mental roadblocks to my becoming the best writer I can be.

SOARING or crashing?

Which would YOU rather focus on?

It really doesn’t matter  how many time you may stumble or even fall on this wonderful journey we are all on.

What counts is how many times we get back up, strap our wings back on, and try to soar again until we reach the clouds!

Have an awesome day my DCSPeeps because you deserve it! 






Children's book author, Donna L Martin, has been writing since she was eight years old. She is a 4th Degree Black Belt in TaeKwonDo by day and a 'ninja' writer of children’s picture books, middle grade chapter books and young adult novels by night. Donna is a BOOK NOOK REVIEWS host providing the latest book reviews on all genres of children’s books. She is also a book reviewer for Harper Collins, and a member of the Society of Children's Book Writers & Illustrators. Donna is a lover of dark chocolate, good stories, and an adoptive mom to 20-pound guard kitty in Knoxville, Tennesse

Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Goodreads
Linkedin
Amazon


6 comments:

  1. Yes, Yes, Yes! We must, as they say, "Try, try again." Somedays, my Bayou Babe, I do feel like giving up. I think my writing is sub par, I write much to slow, I still can't discern a plot structure for my story. But here is what I've learned. I didn't even know my lack of a plot was THE problem in my writing until recently. At least I know why my crit partners and I can never quite put our fingers on what is wrong. So I know better. Now I will do better. Love this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam! I've missed chatting with you, my friend. I've had my share of ups and down, but in my heart I KNOW I'm a strong writer and how can I get even stronger unless I keep trying?

      Glad to know you figured out the bump in your manuscript's road and it sounds like you are well on your way to polishing it til it shines...;~)

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
  2. I imagine that was not a fun tanning. I choose to imagine that I was not there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, imagine all you want, Janet, but you KNOW you were my partner in crime...;~)

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
  3. This is a great post and so very true with writing. I'm in the middle of doing edits for an agent and hoping this time it will be enough! We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane! Just remember to breathe and take it one sentence at a time. I'm sure you will do fine!!

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete