Monday, March 12, 2018

My Special Interview With Best Selling Author Debbie Dadey (Part Two)




(Best Selling Author Debbie Dadey)




Last week I shared Part One of my interview with best selling children's author Debbie Dadey. If you missed it, you can click on this link (http://donasdays.blogspot.com/2018/03/my-special-interview-with-best-selling.html).


I was lucky enough to meet Debbie when I attended her ABC's of Writing For Children workshop at the Rose Glen Literary Festival a couple of weekends ago. I have read many of her 166 authored and co-authored books, including those from her ADVENTURES OF THE BAILY SCHOOL KIDS series, and GHOSTVILLE ELEMENTARY.




See the source image




Her latest series, MERMAID TALES, are already winning her new fans with READY, SET, GOAL being released later this year. Now, keep on reading to learn more about the writerly processes of the amazing Debbie Dadey...



6. What has been some of the best ways to market your books?


     Ha, if only I knew the secret! Here are some things I do:
  • Scheduling book signings (I've had ones where tumbleweed rolled through and where kids were literally lined up around the block).
  • Visiting libraries and schools (libraries are usually free if they are close, but unless it is my 'home' school I charge). There's nothing more fun than sharing your stories with kids!
  • I produce a teaching unit for each new book now. I wish I'd done this from the beginning, but life got in the way. Each MERMAID TALES book has a complete teaching unit to go with it on my website teacher's page. I am a former teacher and librarian, but you can model yours after existing ones or ask a teaching professional for assistance. I also have started making mini trailers for my new books-what a learning process that is.
  • Attending writing conferences and offering programs.
  • I am late to the social media party, but I do try. I think the key is not to harp on your books constantly. I'm at www.Facebook.com/debbiedadey. You can always contact me through my contact page at http://www.debbiedadey.com/Contact/index.php.

7. How do you select the names of your characters? 

     Very rarely a character's name will just come to me. Most of the time I select them out of a baby name book and/or the phone book. Sometimes I look for a name that 'goes' with my story. For instance, how could I not use Shelly as a mermaid name in TROUBE AT TRIDENT ACADEMY?

8. How long on average does it take you to write each book?

     There isn't an average. For books that are under contract there is always a time limit. For instance, there was a period of several years where Marcia Thornton-Jones and I wrote a book a month. Whew!
.
9. What's one thing your fans might not know about you?

     I can still do a cartwheel! I found this out the other day and was rather surprised myself.

10. What's your latest book about and where can readers get a copy?

     My newest book is READY, SET, GOAL! When the team at Trident Academy gets to go to the Championship games, they have high hopes to win. But that's before Shelly sees a cursed fish. Can they break the curse before it's too late? Hope you'll buy the story to see how I tried to weave in my research about Atlantis and sports curses into the story. Then I hope you'll share it with your favorite young reader!

Be sure to leave a comment below and share a little love with Debbie by telling her which one of her books is your favorite!
     
Thanks, Debbie, for taking the time out of your busy schedule to answer a few questions for my readers. For more about Debbie, check out her website (www.debbiedadey.com), find her on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/debbiedadey/?ref=page_internal), hanging out on Twitter (https://twitter.com/DebbieDadey), and even on Pinterest (https://www.pinterest.com/debbiedadey/).












ARE YOU THE MISSING PIECE? is now available through Amazon, Barnes & Noble Bookstore, and other fine retailers. It was a #1 international bestseller in Australia, Canada, the UK, and the US last fall.


 



International best selling author, Donna L Martin, has been writing since she was eight years old. She is a 4th Degree Black Belt Taekwondo Instructor by day and a 'ninja' writer of children’s picture books, chapter books and young adult novels by night. Donna is a BOOK NOOK REVIEWS host and book reviewer for Harper Collins, She is also a member of the Society of Children's Book Writers & Illustrators and Children's Book Insider. Donna is a lover of dark chocolate, time at the beach, and well written stories.










No comments:

Post a Comment